On Our Own

~Queenie

Wednesday morning I woke early. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping in a strange place and, even with Matt there, I was awake with the birds today. I didn’t hear any other sounds in the house and, not wanting to disturb Matt, I tiptoed out of our room after donning a zip up hoodie over my pj’s and went to the kitchen. Have you ever noticed that the kitchen is the general gathering place in the house? We have spent more time in that room this week than any other I think.

I started the coffee and feeling a bit ambitious, decided to throw together some chocolate chip cookies. I didn’t need a recipe for those; I had that one memorized. I was in luck too, Lucy had all the ingredients for them. I turned the radio on and was quietly singing along when Ang strolled in. She looked as if she had been up for a bit and was just tucking her phone in her pocket.

“What smells so damn good hon?” I smiled over at her, “well, its either the coffee or the first batch of cookies.” Ang went and poured herself a cup of coffee, “I’m going with both!” She looked at the cookies, “can I have one?” Just then Lucy wandered in, “just what is going on in here? I thought I told you I would cook?” I took Lucy a cup of coffee, “I know you did, but I was up early and just couldn’t help myself. If it makes you feel any better Martha can clean up.” She laughed at that and then looked at what I had done, “it’s only cookies, I guess that’s all right.”

Ang, Lucy and I discussed breakfast and decided that we were going to go out. We all got dressed and, not being able to wake either Richie or Matt, we left a note for them and headed out. Have I mentioned Lucy’s new Lexus? It is fab-u-lous! She took us to the Colonial Cafe and she surprised the shit out of Ang and I by ordering the three-egg breakfast. I knew she had been doing weight watchers so I had to ask. “What about your diet?” She looked across the table at me and grinned, “I’ve been good, not cheating, well not too much anyway and I’ve lost another 2 pounds this week. I deserve a treat.” I smiled and hit her arm, “that you do girlfriend, that you do.”

When we got back Ang holed up in Lucy’s computer room doing lord only knows what. Playing with the pictures I would assume. Lucy and I heard the guys in the kitchen and found them drinking coffee and eating cookies together. I’m glad they get along so well. I plated the breakfast I had ordered for Matt and sat with him while he ate. Richie and Lucy went to sit in the other room to talk about realtors. Lucy told us at breakfast that Richie wants her to move out to LA as soon as possible so she needs to get a few things done before that can happen.

When Matt went to shower I took a cup of coffee to the sunroom and curled up in a cozy chair and enjoyed the quiet. It seemed as if we hadn’t had any of that since we arrived in Chicago. I caught the reflection of my sweatshirt in the window and had to chuckle. I was wearing my 49ers hoodie and a black turtleneck. I shook my head at what I was thinking. Football, its why we’re all here. It seemed almost ridiculous to think that I had met these four wonderful women and the band that I have loved forever on a football forum chat room of all places and now here we are, halfway through our visit, closing in on a wedding that we are more than honored to be included in.

I took a sip of my coffee and wiped at a stray tear that had rolled down my face. “Hey.” I looked up, Richie was standing in the doorway. “Hey Rich.” He stepped into the room, “are you okay?” I wiped the other side of my face, “yea, just feeling a bit wistful I guess.” He sat down “about what exactly?” I took another sip of my coffee and then looked at him, “do you realize that we are halfway through our visit already? The wedding is in two days and then we all go back to our regular lives.” Lucy and Matt had heard us talking and they joined us. “What’s going on?” Matt was curious as to why I had been crying. I waved him over to sit by me, “I was just saying that our visit is half over and then we have to go back to our real lives.” I looked over at Richie and Lucy, “It’s been great being with you guys, Hath and David, Ang, Jon and Sam, Tico and Hugh. I’ll be sad to see this week end.”

We chatted a bit more and then we heard Ang ask about where to find a store that had picture frames. Lucy rattled off the name of one or two and Ang went to find her coat. As she came back we stopped her. “Where do you think you’re going?” I was sure she wasn’t going to try to find the store herself. Boy was I wrong. Well Richie started in on her and, Ang being Ang, she gave him the what for. Whooeee, I’m glad I wasn’t on the receiving end of her temper. Richie even took two steps back from her. I think he felt a bit intimidated. In the end Lucy handed the keys to her Lexus to Ang along with directions and Ang headed out. Lucy threatened her with bodily harm if anything happened to her baby.

Matt and I donned our coats after she left and headed out to take a short walk. I was still feeling a bit down and Matt could tell. He took my hand as we walked, “you sure you’re okay?” I felt tears pricking at my eyes again, but I held them back, “yea, I’m fine.” We stopped and he turned me to face him. He could see the sadness in my eyes and he wrapped his arms around me, “its okay baby, we’ll see everyone again.” I let the tears come then, “I hope so, but its not like we could just call them up and say ‘hey, what’s going on, wanna grab dinner tonight.’” Matt laughed, “you’re right, but you have to know that we’ll get together with all of them eventually. There are babies coming you know.”

I stopped at his words and smiled, he was right. I had forgotten about that. I hugged Matt tight and kissed him gently, “thanks baby. I love you, you’re the best.” We headed back to the house to see what everyone was doing for dinner.

No comments: