The Harem breaks bread

~ Lucy

Today is the guys day off, so I thought it would be a perfect day to have everyone over to my house for dinner. Fortunately these friends of mine all volunteered to help out with the preparations for the meal. I’m making my Lasagna, Queenie is making Tiramisu, Ang is making the salad and Hath and Sam will take care of the garlic bread and homemade croutons.

Honestly, I’m really grateful that they all volunteered to help. Martha was dead set to do it all herself…or rather have me do it all myself, which wouldn’t of been a problem, but it would have been exhausting and we (the girls and I) plan on kicking some major ass against the guys when we go bowling tonight after dinner so I needed to be awake.

David and Hath decided to take a walk, I think they needed time to let the fact that they are having twins soak in. The garlic bread and croutons didn’t need to be started yet anyway. The gravy wasn’t quite finished and I had to get the filling for the lasagna made still anyway, so they had plenty of time to walk and let it all soak in.

As we all took different places in the kitchen, I couldn’t help but think that the scene in my kitchen reminded me of the kitchen scene in The Big Chill. Oh come on you had to of seen that movie…the kitchen scene is one of the most famous scenes, everyone is in the kitchen singing and preparing a meal…anyway, that’s what it felt like to me.

Jon heard the front door opening, he started right in with his HRH duties, “JEEVES!” I don’t know about Hath…but this shit was getting on my nerves, he is so lucky it was Hath he made the bet with because I would have told him to kiss my ass a long time ago. She’s a stronger person than I.

Once she catered to HRH, getting him a glass of water, she joined us all in the kitchen. We were singing along to the song Tequila makes her clothes fall off I was really having a lot of fun. These men and women had become more then friends to me…they were family.

There was a bit of a concern about the Tiramisu because it has kaluha in it and considering we had a couple of pregger’s amongst us, Queenie wanted to make sure they would eat it if she added it. Her receipe only called for a couple of tablespoons so we all agreed that wouldn’t be that bad for the momma’s to be, although we couldn’t let Jon or David know that, they would have gone ape shit over it.

As we continued to sing and talk we had to fend off the men. Why is it the men always have to try to sneak a taste.

Jon actually attempted to try to sneak a taste of my gravy, if Sam hadn’t shooed him away, he would have definitely gotten a good smack from me, like Richie did when he tried to take some bread. I felt sorry for Matt when the guys sent him in to try to get a taste of the dessert, Queenie stayed true to her Italian roots and smacked him with her spoon, that one brought back memories of my childhood, I can’t tell ya how many times my siblings and I got smacked with a wooden spoon.

Before Tico or Hugh decided to get some food, I yelled into the family room, where the guys we’re sitting, that the kitchen was off limits to anyone with an adam’s apple, to which Richie replied… “But Lucia Darlin’ we have to walk through the kitchen to get to the bathroom…what if nature calls?”

“Hold it!” I said giving him “the look” the girls just snickered behind me.

The meal turned out perfect. There was a lot of laughing and razzing of each other, just like any other family meal. After dinner was the next time I was grateful “mah Girls” were here. With all of them helping with the clean up it was done in no time and we had plenty of time to clean up and change for our night of bowling.

Of course we were met with a round of groans from the guys, but they’ll get over it, tee shirt and jeans may be fine to wear for a night out for a guy, but that just will not do for a woman.

Hath looked fabulous in her college bowling outfit. It is amazing what a perfect match she is for David, fortunately though, she doesn’t normally dress in crazy outfits like David does.

Queenie had her own bowling outfit. We knew she bowled on a league, but she played it off as though she wasn’t that good. On her league bowling shirt, there was an “SQ” embroidered on it, when we asked her what that stood for, she confessed that she in fact was a good bowler and the “SQ” stood for strike queen. Oh the boys were in for a rude awakening tonight.

I had called the bowling alley to see if they had a private area that we could rent. They guys had encountered a number of fans already, both at the hotel and when we were out sightseeing. I had anticipated this and thought by Monday they could use a break from their “celebrity” so when the bowling alley said they did in fact have a private room…I reserved it without asking anything about it.

To my surprise it was a pretty good size room. Along with having 4 lanes, it had some table games in there and a jukebox, but best of all it came with its own waiter. I assumed a couple of us girls would be doing the running back and forth for refreshments but thankfully we would all be able to experience the full joy of kicking the boys asses.

There was some intense discussions going on about who was bowling with who and who was playing against who. As we were all still arguing, Queenie called out that everything was set. Looking at the computers she had set up everyone on a team.

Richie, me, Sam, Jon and Hugh we’re all on one team…although we were still playing boys against girls.

Ang loaded up the jukebox and our bowling war began.

Queenie was up and she looked like a pro. Damn that girl seriously knows how to throw a bowling ball…this is going to be a fabulous night! A few others had gone and done ok, but now it was Hath’s turn to roll, and she made a production out of it, we wouldn’t expect anything less. She was up against Richie. Although he tried to act as though she wasn’t distracting him, he was busted when he dropped his ball behind him.

Hath being the good hearted goddess that she is, bent over, picked up and dusted off his ball, giving not only Richie, but Jon and Hugh a perfect shot of the girls…my poor baby through a gutter ball…he looked so defeated. I tried to console him, but inside I was laughing my ass off.

Hath had us all rolling when Jon ordered her to “buff his ball” and she reached for his belt sending him into a dead panic ordering David to control his woman. Chalk one up for Jeeves!

Mid way through the game, Hugh had the brainiac idea to challenge the “Strike Queen” and all the other men stupidly followed in his foot steps. He had bet Queenie $50 bucks that she couldn’t get a strike and she’d have to help him get the drinks for everyone. Needless to say, Queenie…or rather the strike queen, made herself quite a bit of money.

Just as we predicted, we kicked ass against the guys. Richie had a pout on, I tried to tell him it was just a game, that we had gotten lucky. I didn’t really believe that but he just looked so…so…sad that I had to say something to make him feel better.

“Ha! You girls hustled us.” was his response as he crossed his arms across his chest and pouted even more. I couldn’t help but laugh, he just looked so cute when he pouted like a little boy that’s just been told he couldn’t have anymore ice cream.

As we pulled into the driveway, I leaned over and whispered in his ear that I’d make it up to him later and winked.

“I’m gonna hold you to that Lucia darlin’” he said smiling from ear to ear and waggling his eyebrows.

No comments: