And they said "I Do"

~Queenie

I can’t believe we did it. We made it to Friday without slipping and letting the secret out. Right about now Jon should be telling Sam about her surprise. They are getting married today, at the Jefferson Memorial, at sunset. It should be beautiful. I got Matt’s suit out and hung it up to let any wrinkles fall out and did the same with my dress. I hopped in the shower and then dressed comfortably in jeans and a sweatshirt. We girls were going dress shopping with Sam and I wanted to be comfortable. I wanted some breakfast before I left and, since Matt was still sleeping, I decided to go down to the dining room. I left him a note, kissed him and went downstairs.

I had just walked into the lobby when I noticed Ang snapping pictures, of me! I flipped her off, “how long you been standing there?” She laughed, “long enough darlin’.” I headed over to her. “Have you heard from Hath or Lucy? They should be back by now.” Just as I got the words out of my mouth, my phone rang. It was Lucy. “Are you ready?” I laughed. “I’m waiting in the lobby” before I could say “with Ang” she had hung up and Ang’s phone rang. I laughed again when Ang just said “I’m standing next to Steph” and hung up without a hello or a good bye.

Hath had gotten a limo for us and it was waiting when the elevator dinged open and Hath, Lucy, Sam and Cori filed out. Ang snapped pictures of all of them, Sam was just beaming she was so happy. We said our hellos to Cori, introduced Ang and piled into the car.

At the shop I just stopped and looked at all the dresses. I’ve been married before and this was like a major trip back in time for me. I had a serious déjà vu going on. The girls started going through the dresses and asking about this one or that one. Sam finally had to ask, “who’s wearing this dress?” Once we were all settled down she narrowed her choices down to two and went to try them on. The first one hugged her baby belly too close for her liking so we urged her to try the other one.

Now, if any of you have ever been married, you know when the dress is The Dress. Well when Sam walked out in the second one, we all knew it was The Dress. Holding up her hair in a bun she moved toward us, “What do you think?” She looked lovely in the white satin creation. A wide band of white satin rested on her upper arms, leaving her shoulders bare. The bodice clung to upper torso, but fell loosely from just below her breasts in an empire waistline. The skirt of the dress had a line of big embroidered white roses and vines slashing across it in a diagonal line from left to right that trailed down the short train as well. As I watched her move to the mirror I could feel the tears prickling in my eyes. She looked more than lovely; she was stunning. Jon wasn’t going to know what hit him.

As Hath hugged Sam I saw her give the attendant a look that had all the color drain from her face. I had no idea what was going on but I knew I wouldn’t have wanted to be on the receiving end of a look like that. As Sam went to change I started looking through the dresses. I was thinking of my own upcoming wedding, and I can’t decide if I want to do the whole big thing again or something small like what Sam and Jon are doing; but I figured it couldn’t hurt to look. Lucy came over, “getting ideas?” I had to laugh, “am I that obvious?” Lucy shook her head and laughed, “so what, I’d be looking too if I was engaged.” I looked at her, I think she was feeling a bit envious of all of us. “When is that boyfriend of yours going to get off his ass and propose to you?” She shrugged her shoulders, “I don’t know. I think he may be a little gun-shy with all that has happened. If it’s meant to happen it will happen.” I laid my hand on her arm, “he loves you Luce. It’ll happen for you, I just know it.”

When the dress and lingerie (we girls has selected a few choice pieces for Sam along with a pair of ballerina slippers for her to wear) we headed out for a bite to eat. Hath informed us that we had one more appointment so lunch had to be quick. Sam looked at her, “another appointment? Jon didn’t say anything about a second appointment.” Hath smiled at her, “that’s because I made this one. He wouldn’t have thought of it. I scheduled us in the spa this afternoon, hair, nails, make-up, the works.” Ang, Lucy and I were all for it, Cori, however, was a little hesitant. Hath assured her that it was on Jon and she shouldn’t waste the opportunity. She agreed and off we went.

When Sam sat down to have her hair done she handed a box to the stylist, asking that they be used in her hair. I noticed she had forgotten the daisies she stopped to pick up and I laid a hand on Sam’s shoulder as I handed them to the girl, “don’t for get these too.” Sam smiled her thanks and the girl got to work. By the time she was done, Sam’s hair was like something out of a fairytale. She looked lovely even before she had her dress on.

We got back to the hotel with little time to spare. We all grabbed our dresses and convened in Sam’s room, Nathan telling us to hurry up. I slid into my dress quickly as Ang was snapping pictures of everyone, dressed or not! She looked fabulous in her deep purple dress. That color did great things for her eyes.

I chose the black one that I had worn the first night I met Matt. It was a simple wide v-neck sleeveless sheath that tapered in at my waist and stopped just above my knee. My hair had been gently twisted up, a few curls escaping to trail down my neck. I slipped on my ruby red CFM’s, and headed back into the other room to help Sam. Cori zipped her up and when she turned around and I had to grab a tissue. She looked absolutely beautiful. You could see in her face how much in love she was and how happy she was.

“We have to go, its almost sunset.” Nathan was trying to hurry us along. We all grabbed purses and wraps as we headed to the elevators. Hath had arranged for a limo for us girls and Cori and a separate one for Nathan and Sam. The guys had gone on ahead and were all waiting at the Memorial for us.

When we got to the Jefferson Memorial Hath, Lucy and I headed to meet our men while Cori and Ang stayed back. I walked up to Matt and slid my hand into his, kissing his ear lightly “hey baby, miss me today?” He turned and looked at me, “you look like you did the first time I laid eyes on you babe.” I kissed his cheek and as I wiped the lipstick mark off I looked him up and down, “you look pretty handsome yourself.” He was wearing a black suit with a burgundy shirt and complimenting tie. He wrapped his arm around me and tugged me close, “thanks.” I looked around, everyone looked so good. The guys, by some unspoken agreement were all in dark suits and the girls, well, we were all dressed to the nines. As I was doing my perusal I noticed Cori walking up. This was it.

Richie played the most beautiful version of the wedding march I had ever heard. I decided I was going to have to ask him to record it for me for when Matt and I have our day. We turned to see Nathan and Sam walking toward us. As Nathan laid Sam’s hand in Jon’s, Richie stopped playing. In a motion that couldn’t have been more fitting, he slid the guitar around so it was hanging upside down on his back and took his place next to Jon.

I can tell you the ceremony was beautiful and brief, but I couldn’t tell you what was actually said. I was too busy trying to keep the tears at bay. Thank God for waterproof mascara. When the Justice of the Peace told Jon he could kiss the bride I would swear he let out a sigh of relief. We heard the “finally” he tried to say under his breath too.

The Reception

When we got back to the hotel I just stopped and stared. What Hath had done was amazing. There were screens set up to block out our space and they were draped with white batting and hundreds of tiny white lights. The long table was set and there were daises and yellow roses randomly strewn along the length of it. I looked over at Matt, "I want ours to be like this." I loved the intimacy and romance of the day and I knew I wouldn't accept any less.

Now, on the forum in PMs we girls had talked about what to get the happy couple for a gift. I mean, what do you get for two people who had everything or could go out and buy it if they didn’t? Hath came up with the idea of hiring a designer to take care of Jon and Sam’s back garden at their new home. Marcelli had sent some of the designs he thought they would like and Hath had them on display on easels around the room. She had really outdone herself.

When we heard that Sam and Jon were here David opened the doors and announced them and we greeted them with a round of applause, a glass of champagne and hugs and kisses. Richie and Cori each gave heartfelt toasts to the happy couple and I found myself digging for a tissue again. Damn, I spent the first part of the week laughing more than I can ever remember and now, today, I am a crying mess. The food was brought out after that and we ate every morsel. When the cakes were brought out I thought Sam was going to bust a gut laughing. Hath had had a razorback cake made complete with bridal veil. It was awesome.

Jon and Sam shared their first dance as man and wife and how fitting was it that they danced to an acoustic version of "The Last Night?" Jon had recorded it especially for them for today. I know, you're thinking, they danced to a Jovi song? It truly fit them though. Now that they had each other, neither would even have to be alone again. As they danced Sam started to notice the easels set up around the room. She dragged Jon over to look at them. Together they turned, “what is all this?” I nudged Hath, “this was your find, you tell them.”

Hath proceeded to fill them in on what exactly we had done and how the designs were just that, designs. If there was something else they would rather have Marcelli would work with them to find something they would be happy with. Jon and Sam were truly grateful. Sam gave her a hug before dragging Cori to look at the other designs and Jon released her from her week of servitude.

It wasn't long after that Jon and Sam said their goodbyes, eager to get on with the wedding night. The rest of us stayed for a while, dancing and enjoying each other's company. We would all be heading our separate ways all too soon and we wanted to make every last moment together count.

No comments: